This fish-finger pie is easy, comforting, winter food. My children love it and there are never any leftovers. It is also an economical meal, I have calculated (using Ocado online retailers prices) that it costs around 1.50 per person, for a family of four.
- 500g fish fingers
- 1 onion
- 1 large red pepper
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 25g butter
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 250ml milk
- 75g cheddar cheese
- 40g parmesan cheese
1. Cook the fish-fingers as directed on the packet.
2. Fry the onion and pepper for five minutes, until soft.
3. Add the tomatoes and tomato puree to the onion mixture. Season and cook for five minutes.
4. Put the fish-fingers in a large overproof dish.
5. Cover with the tomato mixture.
6. Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and cook (continuously stirring) for five minutes.
7. Slowly add the milk, cook on a low heat until the mixture thickens.
8. Add 3/4 of the cheese and stir until melted.
9. Pour over the fish and tomato sauce.
10. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and cook at 180c for 20 minutes.
11. Brown under a medium grill.