Blogging has its perks, and getting this parcel through the post was a definite plus. I reviewed the first Ella’s Kitchen book ‘The Cook Book, The Red One’ here, I use the it all the time and some recipes have become firm family favourites. So I was pleased to be offered a chance to review their latest book ‘the Big Baking Book’. It did not disappoint. Crammed full of loads of fabulous ideas for cakes, biscuits, meals and savoury bakes, and ideas for getting children involved in the kitchen. I’m sure it’s going to be a hit in our house.
Choosing a recipe to make, and share was you was difficult as there are so many I fancy trying, I decided to go with this Tasty pumpkin bake as it’s such a useful family dinner time meal.
Tasty Pumpkin bake recipe;
What you need;
- 600g pumpkin or butternut squash peeled, deseeded and cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 125g wholemeal bread torn into pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard (optional)
- 250ml whole milk
- 125g frozen peas
- 125g cheddar cheese grated
What to do;
- Preheat the oven to 200dc/400df/gas mark 6.
- Scatter the pumpkin or squash, onions and thyme in a roasting tin. Drizzle with the oil and mix together well Roast in the oven for 40 minutes, turning occasionally until they begin to colour.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and reduce the temperature to 170dc/325df/gas mark 3.
- Scatter half the bread in the base of a 2 pint (or larger) shallow ovenproof dish or pie dish. Beat together the eggs, garlic and mustard in a jug until smooth, then beat in the milk.
- Stir the frozen peas into the roasted vegetables, then tip half the vegetable mixture over the bread and sprinkle with half the cheese. Repeat the layers with the remaining bread, roasted vegetables and cheese. Pour over the egg mixture and leave the bake to stand for 15 minutes.
- Cook the bake in the oven for 40 minutes until golden and the custard is lightly set. Serve hot with steamed vegetables.
*Disclosure: I was sent the parcel pictured in this post so that I could write this review.
ooooh that looks lovely and healthy and frugal! yummy x
That looks absolutely delicious, thank you! Will definitely be giving this one a go 🙂