Last week I was invited to take part in a promotion via Britmums for Morrisons, to be a Morrison’s Mum. I was given gift vouchers to spend at Morrisons for my bank holidays treats ( as well as my usual weekly shop). So Wonder Girl and I dropped of the boys at school on Friday morning then headed straight to Morrisons to do our shopping for the bank holiday weekend ahead.
I found everything I needed, and also popped in some treats for the weekend, frozen pizza’s for a lazy dinner and the ingredients to make scones with jam and clotted cream. The prices were very reasonable and the selection good, despite not being used to the store I had no problems finding my favourites.
Super Kid and I were in London from Friday to Sunday (more on that in another post) so we saved the scones and pizzas for a lovely lazy bank holiday Monday at home. Wonder Girl decided to help me bake.
Sultana Scone Recipe;
- 450g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 100g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 125g sultanas
- 300ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 230C/ Gas Mark 8.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into little cubes and rub into the flour with fingertips.
- Tip in the caster sugar and sultanas and mix well.
- Stir in the milk, with a palette knife, until you have a slightly sticky rough mass of dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, roll to around 2cm thick and cut scones out using a 5cm diameter pastry cutter.
- Sprinkle baking sheet with flour, place scones on the sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with butter, jam and clotted cream.
Needless to say the scones went down a treat, with everyone having seconds, and Mr Purple managing to squeeze in thirds! The scone ingredients, jam and clotted cream for all five of us cost around £4 making around 20 scones. I think this is very reasonable, and certainly cheaper than going out to a cafe. Overall I liked Morrisons, it was an easy shopping experience and we got everything we needed within our budget. I would consider shopping there again if I was in the area.
*Disclosure: I received vouchers to do my shopping at Morrisons in exchange for this post.
Looks like a very tasty treat. Commenting for myself and on behalf of BritMums and thanking you for taking part
i love scones especially with jam and cream!!
i was really impressed with Morrisons having not been a for a few years x