Sneak some vegetables into your children’s packed lunches with these delicious carrot scones. My three didn’t notice and absolutely loved them.
350g/12 oz carrot cut into small slices
225g/8 oz self raising white flour
50g/1 ¾ oz unsalted butter, cut into cubes
100ml whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF/Gas Mark 7. Line a baking sheet.
- Cook the carrots until tender. Mash or blend until smooth.
- Put the flour into a food processor with the butter and whizz until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. You could use a hand stick blender or fingers instead.
- Add the carrots and add a little milk at a time blending until the mixture resembles a soft dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface. Roll it out until it’s 2cm thick and 15cm square. Cut it into 3cm wide strips and cut each strip into 6cm fingers. Re roll any left over and cut out more finger scones for a total of 14.
- Bake in the oven for 15 mins until risen and pale and golden. Serve warm or cool on a wire rack. The carrot scones will keep in a airtight container for up to 2 days. We served split into two with margarine.